So back to the desire for creating a more traditional whole cloth and what I did to make it work, mostly.
So I drew out most of my design then took a photo and reproduced the quarter 3 more times in photoshop so I could get an idea of what I was going to end up with. If you don’t have photoshop, the easy way to do what I did is to take a picture of your drawing and print out 4 copies on paper and trim down and arrange. I realised that some of my weeds and fish didn’t match properly, so a bit of a re-draw happened. When the drawing was at the point of good and it had strong lines, I traced all of the main bits (the biggest lines, seaweed, big fish, kina) in bold Sharpie pen so I could see what I was tracing.
So the main drawn structures (weeds, big fish, large sponges) are all relatively identical. This is one of the more “traditional” aspects to this quilt. The quartered, symmetrical look is defined by the bigger items. I also used heavier threads for these larger parts. The next round were the large “motif” type fish and sponges. These are similar and mostly symmetrical in placement and done in a more medium weight thread. Then on to the smaller fill fish, weeds, anemones, etc… more randomly placed and done in fine thread. The actual fills are sand and water done with 100 wt thread. And as you can see, the threads are all being buried. Keeping track of what I was using was a bit of a nuisance, but the pic below shows what I did…
I worked from the centre out. First I started in the centre and worked in a circular fashion as it was easier to do up to the reef in that manner. Then I worked in quarters to work out to the edges. Interestingly enough when I finished stitching, the quilt was flat. (After painting it was not, due to my leaning on it…lesson learned.) The binding was a conundrum as I would have liked to do something more fancy. But I decided that my skill set wasn’t up to trying anything too out there and I needed to have the quilt finished for a deadline. I opted for my usual black, comic frame style. I think it worked well.
So here it is all stitched up and ready for colour! Yes, I am weird. I bind and sleeve before painting. Just a preference, no real good reason.
So this concludes this bit, the next covers the painting section!