Right now “grown up” colouring books are all the rage and it is filtering its way into quilting. Karlee Porter’s Graffiti Quilting lends itself to this sort of thing. For more info on this check out her site at KarleePorter.com. There are other quilters out there working in this style as well and if you are interested in this style it is worth “google-ing”.
I thought I would try my hand at it as I was warming up for another seaweed/anemone piece that had sort of been left behind (UFO!) and I had a few small printer paper sized practice pads set up for destruction. They didn’t turn out too badly, but nothing shows every wobble and bobble like a 40wt black thread on white fabric!!! Ack!
Painting in definitely hides a multitude of sins. I am using a Janome 6600 with the free motion foot, same thread top and bottom. (and I love my machine! and no, not a purveyor of Janome, just a happy owner) So with that rigamarole out of the way, let’s move onto photos…the best part.
This is the quilt that is in process and is being done in my usual working method. I normally paint blobbies, then stitch detail, and then tighten up the composition with shading and highlights. The title is “Ding Bay Anemone”. Ding Bay is an amazing hidden gem of a beach with tons of good tide pools at low tide.
So I still have quite a way to go on this, but I thought it would be fun to warm up my fingers with a challenge. I just did random patterns on the first piece.
There were a few stops and starts in this one and I decided that I wanted to do more of a scribble drawing and opted to go with my underwater theme… I also wanted to keep it one continuous line, no stops and starts, no thread breaks, etc. And so Under Sea Colouring Book (USCB) came about.
I really enjoyed the challenge and I apologise for the awkward angles but I was limited in the direction I could actually take the photos.
So there is USCB off the machine and trimmed… now for colouring.
my poor loaded disaster desk! Even though I have Inktense pencils I used only Tsukineko, Schminke Acrylic, and Jacquard paints for the USCB piece. I mix them with clear aloe to stop the random bleeding/spreading on the fabric. Although, since the piece is already quilted, I could use fabric medium and it wouldn’t matter. I find that fabric medium leaves a “pleathery” feel to the fabric and if you stitch and then need to rip out unwanted stitches, it leaves holes. So my personal preference is to use aloe in most all cases and if I really need to use medium then it goes on last. The other more randomly patterned piece is done with the Inktense pencils. I just love art supplies! I just wish they weren’t so darned expensive!
So all that remains for this little piece is the binding. One of my most unloved tasks… Here is the final before binding and it will be lucky if it gets bound anytime soon.
I really do encourage you all to try something different or out of your usual zone of comfort every once in a while. I found, as entertaining as this piece was, I wouldn’t really want to do anything larger in that format. I just don’t love colouring in as much as I love the freedom of making and taming my blobbies… But I really enjoy knowing I am capable of doing the technique. So jump in, try something different, make it small so it isn’t so daunting and just wing it.