Again, thanks for sticking with this! It was a heck of a journey!
So now that the quilt is quilted, bound, and sleeved it is time to paint. I had a bit of a big decision before I started this quilt in that I wasn’t sure how I was going to paint it. Ink (what inks?), paint, pastels, sometimes it is really hard to choose. I really like all of them!
I eventually went with paint because I wanted bright, crisp colours and the Jacquard Textile paints do that really well for me. My Schmincke Inks come in at a close second, but I am sure I didn’t have enough on hand to work on this project. The Derwent Inktense colours are beautiful, but they tend to be softer and I love the effect for my beach scenes. The colours seen while snorkelling are oddly vibrant, so paint was my choice.
I tend to use smaller brushes and work from the centre out when painting as well… Less chance of my dragging my arms through it. I spread “Moana One” over my desk and then onto my other desk to try and avoid leaning heavily on it. The poor quilt was square and flat until I started to lean on it to paint…ugh. It takes quite a bit of time to paint and shade simultaneously. So I estimate the painting probably was in the neighbourhood of 90+ hours.
After this point I started working on large colour fill areas and quadrants.
You can see how the quilt draped over the desk…and all of the leaning on it pulled it out of shape. Lesson learned “don’t lean heavily on your quilt projects”! And here are some photos as I am closing in on the finished product! Looking exceptionally natty in my pjs, not!
So we are at the end for this particular project! I hope it gets to go to a few shows, so that people can see it in person. It looks way better in person than it does in the photos…
An explanation of the name: No it is not named after the Disney movie. Although, I am sure the movie is really good too. Moana is the Maori word for ‘ocean’ and it is appropriate for this quilt. The ‘One’ part is acknowledging that this will become a series. So look for more of this theme to come!
Stats on this quilt!
60″ X 60″
Hours (non quilting hours) put in thus far: 144.5
Quilting hours: 283 (I finally tallied them all up)
Painting hours: 98
Expenditures for materials: $402.00
Total hours: 525.5
Now if you were to pay me minimum wage in NZ ($15.00), the cost of my hourly wages would be $8408.00.
So the total cost of the quilt would be $8,810.00…
Sorry going to soapbox a bit here… Quilting is not a minimum wage skill. This is a hard earned skill, more like you would pay a shop to repair your automobile or computer. The low end would be $55 per hour, higher end would be $180 per hour. For this type of work, I am worth at least $95 to $120 per hour. It is less due to the quantity of errors from the machine chronically breaking down. Also this isn’t a bed quilt. It may technically be a quilt, but it is in fact a large piece of textile art and it is one of a kind not being reproduced again thus upping the value. And the intellectual property of the design is factored in…
So if I give myself fair wage for the amount of blood (yep, had to clean a two sections), sweat (it was summer after all), and tears (how many times can the machine kill the threads) and pay myself $110 per hour you get: $58,207.00
Now I did use NZ$ for these calculations so at current exchange rates for the US$ that would come to: US$40,861.93…
Heck, if it sold for that amount, I could start my longarm business!
Issues that cropped up due to the type of work: lower back stiffness, shoulders would cramp, hands got very. very dry, and my knees just ached… all from the odd positions that quilters sit in to accomplish their work! Sore fingers from trying to pull needles through the densely quilted areas while attaching binding, sleeve, and label… Wow, I hate those last three steps!
Here is a video of the project going together. It is a long one, but then, so was “Moana One”!